Monday, November 1, 2010

Pretty Birdcages

My new (old) birdcages.  I really think the addition is nice.
When I was helping a friend with the finishing touches of her guest bedroom, there was an empty spot on a tall bureau...I said "a birdcage would look great right there." She had some great roman shades made out of this fabric from Premier Prints. (which has great stuff, BTW) and I thought a birdcage would really tie the room together.  Then I thought....I kind of want some birdcages too.  

low and behold....

The next weekend I found these at an auction...they are very old wooden french birdcages.  I have seen lots of birdcages at flea markets and thrift stores and auctions.  Some great, some not so great.  They would be wonderful painted any color of the rainbow, and I think used wisely, they can add a layer of depth and personality to a room.  (these will not be painted as they are antiques and I quite like the patina).

These beauties might end up in my friends room, or might stay put.   The one in the foreground is my favorite.  With the green and pink, and pretty balls for feet.  It even came with a little egg (which my children prompty broke...it was very fragile)

What are your thoughts on the birdcage trend?

Sidenote: I was crazy busy with Halloween this weekend, so my little surprise might be  later this week.  sorry:)

5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love them. I have an old bamboo one that I love. I think the texture of them is always wonderful. Yours are stunning. Hugs, Marty

René said...

I love your birdcages and am so happy to hear that you don't paint everything that enters your life. Would love to start a collection myself. Your friend's fabric is very pretty, by the way.

-Rene

Unknown said...

I love bird cages...and wish I had an extra square inch to display some. I love birds....and anything that reminds me of them. I know you'll enjoy them!!

designchic said...

I adore birdcages, and they are usually the perfect piece for the top of an armoire or a console table. Wonderful...

Unknown said...

I too love the look of birdcages in decor...there are some really fabulous ones out there, and I just don't seem to tire of seeing them!